Wednesday, April 1, 2009

PhD in Facebook

I have to come clean. This blog is actually an assignment for my digital communications class and I need 42 posts before the end of the semester in order to earn an A. Although I find posting three times a week a bit tedious, I do see the value in being able to navigate and contribute to the blogosphere. Plus I get a real kick out of coming up first on a "social network reject" Google search (not like anyone is actually searching for that).

But this class is one of many that I need in order to earn a well-rounded Master's degree in Strategic Communications. And although I'm enjoying the class very much, I think one semester is more than enough time to navigate the world of social and online media. But those at Birmingham City University seem to disagree. They have begun an entire Master's program in social media.

According to College News, the British university’s one-year program will teach students how to set up blogs, publish podcasts and build up their social network using Facebook, Twitter and Bebo. All of which are so basic, they could be self-taught.

Jon Hickman is the genius who created this program and the man trying to milk students for a year's worth of tuition. And not surprisingly he's gotten some negative feedback: “We’ve had one below for more info on this idiotic program.

For some reason this reminds me a lot of the Lil Kim course taught at Syracuse University. Sounded like a lot of fun but if you're paying $2000/credit do you really want to waste it analyzing the lyrics to Queen Bitch? Or in this case, learning the best techniques on how to fill out a "25 Random Things You Didn't Know About Me" list?


Jon Hickman: MA in Social Media from Kasper Sorensen on Vimeo.

1 comment: