Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Google Sells Out

Google went public this week with their year-old application Google Profiles- an online tool that seems to combine the social networking capability of Facebook with the professional networking of LinkedIn and the simplicity of Twitter. So what is it exactly? Well according to Google it's "simply how you present yourself on Google products to other Google users. It allows you to control how you appear on Google and tell others a bit more about who you are. With a Google profile, you can easily share your web content on one central location."

Design-wise it looks a lot like a virtual business card and I think that's the point. I have to admit though, I'm still a little unclear on the advantages of this application. Nonetheless I of course had to set up my own profile. Along with the standard "personality" questions such as interests, they also asked things like "something I can't find using google"and "my super power." Slightly random non sequiturs. So now if you Google me, here's what you'll see at the very bottom of the page. I'm not the only Anna Miller? How disappointing....

No comments:

Post a Comment