Sunday, April 12, 2009

Happy Easter! Tweet! Tweet!



Send out the hypocrite police cause I'm about to make a confession...

I LOVE TWITTER!!!!


Yes, I must admit, after listening to Howard Stern's Twitter travails on Thursday's show, I decided to explore the most recent trend in social networking for myself. I had created an account months ago but never took the time to look around. Well on Thursday afternoon I logged in and haven't been able to tear myself away since. I love it. And in an attempt to justify this hypocrisy to myself and my fellow SNRs, here's my list of reasons why Twitter is better than Facebook:

1) Twitter is more honest. For the most part, is a one way dialogue. People can follow you and you can follow others and although commenting is allowed, interaction is not an essential ingredient of this social network. Therefore in some ways it's easier for you to be yourself and share your thoughts without worrying about what others will say. As opposed to Facebook, which is more about connecting with old friends and trying to prove how successful you are, Twitter seems inherently more real.

2) Brevity (see previous post). There's nothing I hate more than verbosity. There are too many people out there who use an abundance of unnecessary words. Simplicity is key in communications. Twitter gives you 140 characters to say what you need to say. If you're clever, you can manage to say a lot in that small space.

3) Related to #1, voyeurism is a key component of Twitter. At Kim's suggestion, I tried following a few celebrities. I'm especially fond of posts from comedians Michael Ian Black and Michael Showalter. This comedic duo love to torment each other via hilarious Twitter posts often accompanied by equally hilarious pics. As a self-admitted voyeur, it's fun to get an inside glimpse into the lives of celebrities whose work I've admired for years. But at the same time, you can see this "realness" getting commercialized by celebrities like Ryan Seacrest who obviously have teams of publicists tweeting on their behalf. I began following Seacrest but had to delete him after the endless amount of self-promotion I received.

4) Twitter is easy. There's no profile to set-up, no annoying questions to answer. You post a pic, and a short bio and boom....you're Tweeting. I don't have to spend hours I don't have agonizing over my profile or my list of friends. If I want to give an update, I can do it right through my cell phone. It's a perfect social networking application for someone with a life.

So those are the reasons I've thought of so far to ease my Twitter-loving guilt. Maybe social networking isn't all bad, especially as we figure out new uses for it (i.e. Moldova Prostests).

See, I can admit when I'm wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment