Sunday, March 15, 2009

Facebook Wants Me Back!

How funny is this? I got the above email from FB a few days ago. In order to reactivate my account all I need to do is simply click the button and POOF- all my info and photos and friends will be back as if I never left.

This email interested me for two reasons. 1) It means there are many people like me out there who for whatever reason decided they had had enough of Facebook. As much as I disliked it, I agonized over the decision of ending my account for fear that if I changed my mind down the road, I'd have to do the work of setting up another profile all over again. It's extremely time consuming to determine how you want to appear to exs, frenemies and the like. This email let me know that all of my witty profile responses were just waiting to be read and all I needed to do was come back and drink the kool-aid.

This leads me to my second point. You may remember the Facebook Terms of Service scandal from a few weeks ago. The new TOS stated that basically anything you uploaded to the site belonged to Facebook even after you closed your account. The online community banded together and said I DON'T THINK SO and Facebook was forced to change their TOS. Okay, so even though Facebook doesn't own my clever words, they are still entitled to hold onto them in case I should ever decidedto come back. Something about that still doesn't seem quite right to me...

1 comment:

  1. Yes, your second point is exactly what I was thinking too. Sketchy.

    ReplyDelete