Monday, March 2, 2009

Cybernerd Sues Facebook


College student Denise Finkel recently filed a $3 million lawsuit against Facebook and four of her former high school classmates who she has accused of cyberbullying. According to Finkel's lawyer, the classmates created a password-protected Facebook group "calculated to hold the plaintiff up to public hatred, ridicule and disgrace." Allegedly, the defendents claimed that Finkel had AIDS, was an intravenous drug user, and practiced beastiality.

Facebook's response: "We see no merit to this suit and we will fight it vigorously.

Now granted I'm sure the poor girl has been subjected to a lot of torment but $3 mil seems like an awful lot of money. As one who is no stranger to bullying, I feel for her. When I was in junior high, back in the days before cyberanything, this bitch Caryn Weiss used to torment me. Her and her clique would laugh and make fun of me because I was a little developmently challenged and had not yet mastered the concept of hairspray, fashion or deodorant (plus this was during my mullet phase). But I survived and slowly caught up to my classmates (and grew out the mullet). My point is that I dealt with this torment face-to-face on a daily basis- not online in cyberworld. I'm not saying that it doesn't have the same impact but is it really worth starting a lawsuit over? I'm a firm believer in karma and I'm sure the pain that Caryn inflicted on me as well as the pain Finkel's tormenters inflicted on her, will be paid back tenfold. All I can say is that Caryn better start teaching her little girl how to use deodorant sooner rather than later.

Sorry for the rant but this felt good! But seriously Denise, you are always welcome to our group here at Social Network Reject!

2 comments:

  1. Where does libel fall into it, though? I mean, essentially this group of bullies were completely slandering poor Denise. Back in the pre-web days, you couldn't prove that you were being bullied...here, the bullies are leaving a messy digital trail. I feel terrible for her! However, if the site was password protected...how did she get on it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point. How did she find out about the group unless those in question publicized it among their classmates?

    ReplyDelete